Nothing is more frustrating than having a leaky roof and not knowing what the source of the problem is. Leaky roofs can especially be a problem during the moist monsoon season when storms can cause all sorts of trouble with your home and roof – but a leaky roof can have many different causes. Read this blog to discover the possible reasons your roof is leaking.
Signs That Your Roof Is Leaking
A roof leak isn’t always immediately obvious. Look out for signs of a leaky roof, including water spots on your ceiling and indoor walls; missing, cracked, or damaged shingles; missing or damaged flashing, and water spots on external walls.
5 Reasons Your Roof Is Leaking
Once you’ve determined that your roof is leaking, you may be wondering what exactly is causing it. So what are the top five reasons your roof may be leaking?
- A Hole: A hole in your roof is perhaps the most obvious cause of a leak. Holes can be caused by, gradual wear and tear, storm damage or the removal of a roof feature, such as an antenna.
- Clogged Gutters: If your gutter becomes clogged with debris, it can cause water to build up and seep under your shingles, which leads to leaks. Keeping your gutters clean is the best way to prevent this issue from occurring.
- Damaged Shingles or Broken Tiles: Your shingles/tiles are your roof’s first line of defense. If the shingles on your roof are cracked, missing, or otherwise damaged, they could be letting water in, causing a leak.
- Damaged Flashing: Flashing is an important part of your roof. Roof flashing consists of metal sheets that seal and direct water away from roof penetrations and transitions. If your flashing becomes damaged or slips out of place, it can allow water in.
- An Old Roof: If your roof is past a certain age, deterioration is natural and can lead to leaks. Roofs should generally be replaced every 15-25 years, depending on multiple factors (including roof material, level of maintenance, and installation quality).
If you can’t determine the cause of the leak yourself, no worries – call a professional roofing company, like Roofstar Arizona, and we will figure out what the problem is and the best way to fix it as soon as possible. Whatever the cause is, getting it fixed before it turns into an even bigger problem is important.
Have a leak you need fixing? Need an inspection done to ensure your roof is in tip-top shape? Just have some more questions you need to be answered? Call Roofstar Arizona now at (480) 426-1915 now. We’ll tell you the truth about your roof!