There are many parts that make up a roof – and many areas which can become problems under certain circumstances. Your gutters are an important part of your roof’s health, but in this week’s Ask Roofstar, the question is: Do gutters cause roof damage? Roofstar has an answer for you.
Do Gutters Cause Roof Damage?
Gutters perform the important job of capturing rainwater and directing it away from your roof and foundations via downspouts. This helps keep your roof safe by preventing water buildup, which can lead to leaks and water damage. But can gutters backfire and end up causing your roof damage instead? The answer is, only in certain circumstances – usually when they are clogged or broken in some way. When gutters function normally, there isn’t any reason to worry about them causing problems.
Can Gutters Make Your Roof Leak?
Yes, but only if they are clogged or damaged in some other way. Clogged or damaged gutters can lead to leaks because they prevent water from draining normally, which means that water can get trapped in certain spots and cause leaks or water damage.
What Problems Can Roof Gutters Cause?
When roof gutters malfunction or become clogged, there are multiple problems they can cause. A few are:
- Leaks: Clogged gutters allow water to build up, which can lead to leaks or water damage in your roof.
- Rot: Water build up can also cause your roof’s fascia boards – which the gutters are attached to – to become seeped with water, leading to rot. In addition, water can pool at your house’s foundation, and an affected foundation can compromise the safety of your entire home.
- Insects: Plenty of insects are attracted to moisture and the damp conditions of a clogged gutter make for a convenient nesting area. A clogged gutter could lead to mosquitoes, spiders, and other pests making their home near yours.
- Sagging: If your gutters become especially clogged, they may begin to sag – and even tear away from your roof, which can cause damage to your home’s exterior.
- Mold: Standing water can often lead to mold or mildew, which is a real risk for the health of your family.
Should You Replace Gutters When Replacing Your Roof?
Replacing gutters when getting your roof replaced is not usually necessary unless your gutters already needed to be repaired or replaced. However, a good roofer will make sure your gutters stay protected and unharmed during the replacement process, and will let you know if your gutters require any repairs.
Considering adding gutters to your home, or replacing gutters you already have? Want to get a professional opinion on what’s best for your roof? Call Roofstar Arizona now at (480) 426-1915 to get a free estimate. We’ll tell you the truth about your roof.